I’m curious. Do you have a morning routine? It’s something I’ve been working on for a long time. I wouldn’t say that I have a set morning routine, but I would say that I’m trying to improve whenever possible. Years ago, I got up and ran before work as I was training for a half marathon. That was a routine because I would often sleep in my running clothes or have them laid out next to me.
These days, I do a few things every morning to try and get my brain going and get organized for the day.
- I make my bed. Growing up I wasn’t one of those kids that made their bed or was forced to by my parents. It’s a habit I grew into as an adult. I just like the look of having my comforter pulled up even if my sheets aren’t perfectly aligned underneath. I don’t know the science behind it, but I do feel like there is a connection between my brain and the organization of the day when I make my bed in the morning.
- Stretching. I haven’t progressed to full-on yoga in the morning, but I’ll stretch my neck and my body to get ready for the day. I would love to spend 20-30 minutes doing yoga, but I’m not quite there yet. I typically take a few minutes to move my head from side to side, raise my arms, and do a few lunges.
- Coffee. Okay. I admit I’ve tried to kick the coffee addiction in the past with no success. So for now, it’s part of my morning routine to make coffee. I just love the smell of it and the feel of the warm mug in my hands, even on a hot day.
- Affirmations. I like to start my day by journaling my intentions and writing down my affirmations. I repeat them to myself in the mirror a few times for good measure. I notice complete mood shifts if I got several days in a row without writing my affirmations. My anxiety creeps in more, I’m irritable, and my generally positive outlook is not as sunny.
- To-do list and email. After I get some breakfast (or while I’m eating breakfast), I go through my to-do list for the day and check my email. I prioritize and review my schedule to make sure I’m still on the best course for the day to achieve my goals.
While I have great ambitions to create an even better and more consistent morning routine, these are the things I do on a regular basis to get me started and going for the day. What do you do you do? What are some helpful tips you’d like to pass along?